ISO3601-5: Suitability of elastomeric materials for industrial applications
ISO3601-5 specifies the appropriateness of various rubber materials which may be used for the production of O Rings intended for use in industrial applications. ISO3601-5 also specifies the capability of the materials to fulfil many of the demands related to fluid power elements and systems. This includes fluid compatibility and temperatures. The manufacturer and customer should both agree on the physical properties.
O Rings synthetic elastomers include:
- NBR – Nitrile / Acrylonitrile-butadiene – IRHD 70, 90
- FKM – Fluorocarbon – IRHD 70, 80
- EPDM – Ethylene propylene diene – IRHD 70, 80
- VMQ – Silicone – IRHD 70
- ACM – Polyacrylate – IRHD 70
- HNBR – Hydrogenated Nitrile – IRHS 70, 80
Depending on installation other materials and hardnesses may be more suited.
Suitability of rubber materials for industrial installations:
Mineral Oil-based fluids:
- Motor oils
- Hypoid gear oils
- Automatic transmission fluid
- Hydraulic oils (HL, HM) – ISO6743-4
- Diesel fuel
- Fuels for petrol engines – normal
- Fuels for petrol engines – super
Fire-resistant hydraulic fluids:
- HFA fluids (oil-in-water emulsion) – ISO6743-4
- HFB fluids (water-in-oil emulsion) – ISO6743-4
- HFC fluids (water polymer solutions) – ISO6743-4
- HFDR fluids (phosphate esters) – ISO6743-4
- HFDS fluids (chlorinated hydrocarbons) – ISO6743-4
- HFDT fluids (mixtures of HFDR/HFDS) – ISO6743-4
- HETG (vegetable oils) – ISO6743-4
- HEES (synthetic ester) – ISO6743-4
- HEPG (polyglycol) – ISO6743-4
Other service fluids:
- Brake fluids
Click here to see the ISO3601 overview (Pt1, Pt2, Pt3, Pt4, Pt5).
E & OE. M Barnwell Services endeavour to make sure that all content is correct. The information has been gathered from manufacturing partners.